Frederick Smith Strong
Major General, United States Army
Appointed from Michigan, Cadet, United States Military Academy, 14 June 1876 (11)
Second Lieutenant, 4th U. S. Artillery, 12 June 1880
First Lieutenant, 6 May 1887
Major, Assistant Adjutant General, United States Volunteers, 12 May 1898
Honorably discharged from the Volunteer Service, 31 March 1899
Captain, 4th U. S. Artillery, 2 March 1899
Artillery Corps, 2 February 1901
The Sunshine Division
The 40th ("Sunshine") Division was organized at Camp Kearny, near San Diego, California, September 16, 1917, and was composed of National Guard organizations of the states of Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah. The Division enjoyed a continuity of policy and tradition, due to the unbroken command of Major General Frederick S. Strong, United States Army.
Major General Frederick S. Strong organized
the 40th Division, and was its beloved commander during its World War days.
An organization reflects its leader. General Strong was an accomplished
soldier, an experienced administrator, a considerate and cultured gentleman
of unblemished character and high ideals. he imparted his principals and
spirit to his command. Especially and unceasingly was he solicitous for
the physical and moral welfare of the men of his Division, in no way abating
discipline, but constantly seeking to obtain for his men the best condition
of life under the circumstances. The personnel of the 40th Division, old
and new, will retain an abiding loyalty and affection for their "War-Time"
Popularly known as the "Sunshine Division." Insignia, a golden sun superimposed on a blue circle. Organized at Camp Kearny, California in September, 1917. The division was made up from the National Guard troops from California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. (1st Ariz. Inf.; 2nd, 5th, and 7th Calif. Inf.; 1st Calif. M. G. Troop, 1st Separate Squadron Calif. Cav.; 1st and 2nd Calif. Fld. Arty.; Co. B, Calif. Sig. Corps.; Calif. Field Hospital and Amb. Cos. Nos. 1 and 2; 1st and 2nd Colo. Inf.; 1st Colo. Cav.; 1st Bn. Colo. Engrs.; Co. B, Colo. Sig. Corps and 1st Colo. Engr. Train; 1st New Mexico Inf.; 1st New Mex. Fld. Arty. And New Mex. Field Hospital Co. No. 1.) First units embarked for overseas on August 7th and the last units arrived in France on Aug. 28th. . Upon arrival in France the division was made a replacement division and was ordered to La Guerche (Cher) and became the 6th Depot Division. The division was then broken up and its personnel was used as replacements for combat divisions at the front.
Maj. Gen. Frederick S. Strong commanded the
division from the time of its organization. The division was composed of
the following organizations: 79th and 80th Brigs., 65th Fld. Arty. Brig.,
157th, 158th, 159th, 160th Inf. Regts., 143d, 144th, 145th Machine Gun
Bns., 143d, 144th, 145th Fld. Arty. Regts, 115th Trench Mortar Battery,
115th Engr. Regt. And Train; 115th Fld. Sig. Bn., 115th Hqs. Train and
M.P., 115th Amm. Train, 115th Sanitary Train (157th, 158th, 159th, 160th
Amb. Cos. And Field Hospitals).
STRONG, FREDERICK S
STRONG, ALICE MARION W/O FREDERICK S
Posted: 6 October 2005 Updated; 6 May 2006 Updated: 17 December 2006