George A. Woodward
Brigadier General, United States Army
George A. Woodward was born at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, February 14,
1835. His parents were George W. (formerly chief justice of Supreme
Court of Pennsylvania) and Sarah Elizabeth (Trott) Woodward. He received
his B.A degree at Trinity College in Connecticut, 1855 (honorary M.A. degree,
1895). He married Charlotte Treat Chittenden, February 14, 1867.
He was admitted to the bar and engaged in the practice of law at Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, where he was City Attorney, 1858-59. He later practiced law
He entered the military on May 27, 1861 as Captain of the 2nd Pennsylvania Reserves. He was promoted to Major, April 2, 1862, to Lieutenant Colonel September 25, 1863, and to Colonel December 4, 1863. He was honorably mustered out of the Volunteer Service on July 20, 1866.
He was appointed Lieutenant Colonel, 45th United States Infantry, July 28, 1866. He transferred to the 14th United States Infantry on March 14, 1869. He was appointed Colonel of the 15th United States Infantry on January 10, 1876. He retired from active duty on March 2, 1879, and was advanced to the rank of Brigadier General on the retired list by the act of April 23, 1904.
He was breveted Colonel, March 2, 1867 for the battle of Gettysburg. He participated in the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac. He was wounded and taken prisoner at the battle of Glendale, Virginia, June 30, 1862. He participated in the battle of Gettyburg as a Lieutenant Colonel commanding a regiment.
After entering the regular service, he served in Kentucky, Tennessee, Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska and Utah.
He was a member of a Philadelphia firm which published military and naval books, 1879-87, editor of United Service Magazine during the same period. He was an Episcopalian and a Democrat.
He died December 22, 1916 and was buried with full military honors in Section 1 of Arlington National Cemetery. His wife, Woodward, Charlotte Treat Crittenden (1841-1903), is buried with him.
WOODWARD, CHARLOTTE T W/O GEO W
Photo By M. R. Patterson, 28 June 2003