Christopher Charles Johnson – Chief Warrant Officer, United States Army

U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
News Release

August 16, 2007

DoD Identifies Army Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the death of five soldiers who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.  They died August 14, 2007, in Al Taqqadum, Iraq, of injuries suffered when their helicopter crashed.  They were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment, Task Force 49, Fort Wainwright, Alaska.

Killed were:

The incident is under investigation.

15 August 2008:

Christopher C. Johnson had looked danger in the eye many times before as a Green Beret, but it was his dream of flying for the armed services that led him to train to become part of a helicopter crew.

The 31-year-old pilot, who grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and graduated from Tri-Unity Christian School, accomplished his goal and was doing what he loved when he was killed Tuesday near Anbar province in Iraq. His CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed during a routine post-maintenance test flight, killing all five on board.


Charles and Mary Johnson of Gallup, New Mexico, were informed of their son's death Wednesday morning.

“I found out a helicopter crashed yesterday when I was on the computer and saw a news flash. I clicked on it and saw that it was a Chinook and it was about the area that we knew he was in,” Mary Johnson said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

“He always promised to call or e-mail when there was a crash so that we knew he was safe,” she said. “After a whole night of not hearing from him, we knew something was wrong.”

Johnson, a member of Task Force Dragon, had been in Iraq for less than a month, his mother said.

The Army said the helicopter was conducting a test flight when it went down near Taqaddum air base. The Army did not immediately identify the victims, but Army officials in Alaska said the five were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment, Task Force 49 based at Fort Wainwright, Alaska.

Johnson's family has been told the crash was an accident. The military said the incident remains under investigation.

Johnson, a husband and father of three, had joined the military in 1994 and went on to become a Green Beret. After being part of covert operations around the world, he decided to pursue his dream of flying.

He had assured his mother it would be safer to fly a Chinook. “He always told me, ‘Mom don't be afraid because it's the fastest, the biggest and the safest.' And he told me he wouldn't have to kill anybody, that he would be transporting things and helping people. He always wanted to help people,” Mary Johnson said.

Family friend Elaine Stam of Albuquerque didn't know Christopher Johnson but she sure did hear a lot about him from his parents.

“His dad was just so proud of him,” she said. “He just lived for Chris' telephone calls or e-mails. He just loved it. He was so proud.”

Stam said she was devastated after hearing the news Wednesday. “You just can't believe it. One month in Iraq and he's gone,” she said.

Johnson's dream of flying included coming home and earning a pilot's license for fixed-wing aircraft, his mother said.

Before deploying to Iraq this summer, Johnson took his children — ages 4, 7 and 10 — to Grand Rapids and Chicago to share with them the special places where his father had taken him when he was young.

Mary Johnson said the children “just adored their daddy.” In fact, he was working on adopting them since they were his wife's children from a previous marriage. His wife and children were living in Huntsville, Alabama, during Johnson's deployment.

The pilot had plans to return to Gallup with his family to surprise his parents for Christmas. Instead, the family was dealing with questions of why as they began to prepare for a funeral.

Mary Johnson said her son will be buried in Rehoboth, just east of Gallup. She said he loved the area.

27 August 2008:

REHOBOTH, New Mexico – The body of Army Chief Warrant Officer Christopher Charles Johnson was laid to rest on top of a rocky hill on Saturday morning in a private burial service attended by family members, a few close friends, and military personnel.


Members of the National Guard carry casket of Army Warrant Officer
Christopher C. Johnson on Saturday morning at Rehoboth Cemetery.

Johnson, 31, a Chinook helicopter pilot and former Green Beret, died on August 14, 2007, after his helicopter crashed in Anbar Province, Iraq. Johnson was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment, Task Force 49, Fort Wainwright, Alaska.

Johnson’s parents, Mary and Charles “Chuck” Johnson, are residents of Gallup. Johnson’s wife, Vivian, and their children, Victoria, Jonathan, and Dylan, have been residing in Huntsville, Alabama, during Johnson’s tour of duty in Iraq.

The Rev. George Vink of California, the father-in-law of Johnson’s sister, Dawn, presided over both the burial and memorial services. Although Vink admitted the family was grieving deeply from the devastating loss of Johnson, as Christians, he said, their faith and trust in God remain strong. This was one of the themes that ran throughout both services, from the reading of Psalms 121 at the beginning of the burial service to the benediction at the conclusion of the memorial service.

The family chose to have Johnson’s body buried in the scenic desert hillside, south of Rehoboth, where Johnson, an avid motorcyclist, had enjoyed riding his Harley Davidson. Soldiers from the 1116th Transportation Company of the New Mexico Army National Guard in Gallup, the 126th Military Police Company of Grants, and the Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 200th Infantry Brigade of Farmington, served throughout the burial service.

During the service, Vink said he knew Johnson’s father, Chuck, had raised all his children with the teaching that true joy in life comes from putting Christ first, others second, and oneself last. This idea was repeated throughout the memorial service that followed, in which several speakers spoke about Johnson’s faith in God, his devotion to his country, and his love for his family.

“We sow the remains of Chris in the confidence of the resurrection,” said Vink of Johnson’s faith.

Emotions were held in check until Vink committed Johnson’s body to be buried. Many mourners began to sob quietly after “Taps” was played and military pallbearers began to fold the flag that had been draped over the casket. General Mark Dow, deputy adjunct general with the New Mexico National Guard, presented the flag to Vivian Johnson and presented a second flag to Mary and Chuck Johnson.

In the memorial service that followed at Rehoboth Christian Reformed Church, community members filled the sanctuary to near capacity. Through photographs, stories, and songs, family members and friends shared the Chris Johnson they knew and loved: a spunky little boy who called himself “Chris-tougher” who once went out into a street where he stopped cars while dressed in a Superman costume, a teenager who loved pickup trucks and motorcycles and gave his parents more than their fair share of gray hairs, a young man who loved being in the military and lived life to the fullest, and a loving husband and father who was brought to tears when his young stepson, Jonathan, thanked him for becoming his dad.

Chief Warrant Officer Sam Waldon, one of Johnson’s closest friends throughout his military career, said he and Johnson were brothers, who had just been raised in different parts of the country. They had wanted to move to the same military base after Johnson’s tour of duty in Iraq, he explained, so they could raise their children together.

Waldon said Johnson’s dedication to duty was something that most people would never understand. Whether Johnson was serving in the infantry, Special Forces, or flying a helicopter, Waldon said, “He loved it all.”

Johnson was a hard-headed and impatient guy, he added, who wanted to share the responsibility of serving in Iraq. If Johnson “could play the rewind button” of his life, Waldon said, Johnson would live it again the same way.

“Courage and honor,” Waldon said. “Those are the two words Chris lived by.”

Johnson’s uncle, Rog Bruins, compared Johnson’s life to a race like the one described in the New Testament book of Hebrews. Although Johnson’s race proved not to be a long one, Bruins said, Johnson ran it with discipline, perseverance, and direction.

“Chris is my hero,” said Bruins, noting that Johnson was a man who loved God, loved his family, and loved his country.

Betty Wieland, from Johnson’s home state of Michigan, described herself as Johnson’s “other mother.” As a young man, she explained, Johnson moved in with her after his parents moved to Gallup.

“His boisterous presence filled all the empty spaces,” she recalled. “He brought love and laughter and unpredictability and hope.”

Although Johnson died a young man, Wieland said, he packed more living into his 31 years of life than other people do in 80 years.

“He truly lived,” added Wieland, who said the purposes which God created Johnson are now complete. Wieland said God challenges “us to embrace life and death as fully” as Johnson did.

“Thanks be to God for the gift of loving Chris,” she concluded.

A memorial scholarship fund is being established at Rehoboth Christian School, the school where Johnson’s father is a middle school science teacher. Donations for the Christopher Johnson Scholarship Fund can be mailed to Rehoboth Christian School, P.O. Box 41, Rehoboth, New Mexico 87322.

NOTE: There will be a group burial for this aircrew at Arlington National Cemetery on Friday, 3 October 2008, following services in the Post Chapel at Fort Myer, Virginia.

Read our general and most popular articles

Leave a Comment