Maurice Edwin Curts – Admiral, United States Navy

Biography & Gravesite Photo Courtesy of Russell C. Jacobs, July 2007

Maurice Edwin Curts (1898-1976)

Born on March 25, 1898 in Flint, Michigan.

Served as a midshipman aboard the Nevada in World War I. Commissioned from Annapolis in 1920. M.S. from Harvard in 1928. Commanding Officer of the Case 1938-1939.

Communications Officer for the United States Fleet 1939-1944. Rear Admiral in November 1943. Chief of Staff of the 1st Carrier Task Force, Pacific Fleet in 1945.

Assignments after the war included Commander of Cruisers Fleet 1955-1957 and Commander in Chief Pacific Fleet January 14-January 31, 1958. Retired as Admiral in April 1960. Decorations included the Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star, Legion of Merit and Bronze Star. Died on February 16, 1976.

USS CURTS (FFG 38) is named for the late Admiral Maurice E. Curts, United States Navy (1898-1976), former Commander in Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet, and heroic cruiser commander of World War II. He was awarded the Navy Cross and Silver Star Medal for extraordinary heroism while commanding cruiser COLUMBIA during the Leyte landings, the Battle of Surigao Strait, the Lingayen Gulf landings, and the liberation of Borneo. During the initial Lingayen Gulf landings, he continued to lead his cruiser in action despite the severe damage inflicted by two suicide planes which had left nearly 100 of his men dead or wounded. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, he had earned the Bronze Star Medal as Communications Officer, U.S. Pacific Fleet and the Distinguished Service Medal as Communications Officer, United States Fleet.


Following the close of World War II, he was Force Commander, Operational Development Force, U. S. Atlantic Fleet; Assistant Chief of Naval Operations (Readiness); and Deputy Commander in Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet, serving with great distinction until 13 January 1956. On that date, he was designated by the President as the Commander in Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet, serving until the arrival of his relief on 1 February 1958. A month later, he became Commander Western Sea Frontier, remaining until his retirement on 1 April 1960. Early naval service included duty as Officer in Charge, Radio and Sound, Naval Research Laboratory (June 1936-May 1938) where he earned a commendation from the Secretary of the Navy for outstanding service in the development of radar.


Read our general and most popular articles

Leave a Comment