Royal Emerson Whitman of Maine
- Appointed from Maine, Sergeant Major, 23 Maine Volunteer Infantry, 20 September 1862
- Captain, 1 March 1863
- Honorably mustered out of the volunteer service, 15 July 1863
- Major, 30th Maine Volunteer Infantry, 29 December 1863
- Lieutenant Colonel, 1 September 1864
- Colonel, 14 August 1865
- Honorably mustered out of the volunteer service, 20August 1865
- Second Lieuenant, 3rd U. S. Cavalry, 2 July 1867
- First Lieutenant, 12 August 1869
- Retired 20 March 1879
- Breveted First Lieutenant, United States Army, 2 July 1867, for gallantry in the battle of Sabine Cross Roads, Louisiana.
Royal Emerson Whitman was born 11 May 1833 at Turner, Maine. He married Lucretia Octavia, who was born in Maine in 1830, on 1 December 1852. They were divorced and during the 1880 United States Census she was residing at Norwich, New London, Connecticut, with the Haskell family of that city.
WHITMAN, ROYAL E
- CAPT USA RET
- DATE OF DEATH: 02/12/1913
- BURIED AT: SECTION W DIV SITE 49-A
- ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
Michael Robert Patterson was born in Arlington and is the son of a former officer of the US Army. So it was no wonder that sooner or later his interests drew him to American history and especially to American military history. Many of his articles can be found on renowned portals like the New York Times, Washingtonpost or Wikipedia.
Reviewed by: Michael Howard